Eiheiji has become Dōgen's place, the temple where Dōgen is remembered, where Dōgen's Zen is practiced, where Dōgen's Shōbōgenzō is published, where it is read, and where one goes to learn Dōgen's Buddhism. The entire temple was destroyed by fire several times. The monks start their day at 3:30 . or one hour later during winter, when they do zazen and read and chant sutras. Breakfast is a bowl of rice gruel with pickles. Then they do chores: clean, weed and, if needed, shovel snow. The floors and corridors have been polished smooth by daily cleaning for hundreds of years. Then they read and chant again.
Take a tour of the Daihonzan Eiheiji Temple, Japan to visit historic site in Eiheiji-cho. Founded in 1244 CE by Eihei Dogen, a monk considered the founder of the school in the country, the complex includes a training monastery with more than 200 monks and nuns in residence. The bronze temple bell dates back to 1327, and represents one of the main things to see during a visit to the temple. Upon entry to the temple, you'll be handed a list of rules that must be adhered to at all times during the visit. Plan your visit to Daihonzan Eiheiji Temple and a wealth of other attractions, well-known and undiscovered, using our Eiheiji-cho day trip tool.
Eihei-ji was founded in 1244 by Dōgen Zenji (道元禅師, 1200-1253), formerly a Buddhist priest of the Tendai School who spent five years studying in China. Upon his return, he founded Sōtō and introduced Zen Buddhism to Japan. Eihei-ji is an active monastery that serves as Sōtō's primary training centre. At any given time, around 200 monks and nuns receive regular training which lasts from three months to two years. Visitors are free to explore the temple grounds but should be tactful enough not to disrupt monastic practice. Left, the Chūjakumon (中雀門, Central Sparrow Gate) built in 1852, to the right the Butsuden (仏殿. the Buddha Hall) with its stone floor and double roof. The main altar comprises three statues of Amida Sanzonbutsu (阿弥陀三尊仏), the Buddha of the Past, the Present, and the Future).
Eiheiji is one of two head temples of the Soto Sect of Zen Buddhism (the other was formerly Sojiji Temple on the Noto Peninsula before its head functions were transferred to Yokohama). The sizable temple complex consists of over 70 buildings and structures which are connected to each other by covered walkways that protect from the heavy snow seen in the region from December to March. of the slope; and the founder's hall (Joyoden), which contains the ashes of Dogen and images of Eiheiji's successive head monks.
Asia East Asia Japan Chubu Fukui (prefecture) Eiheiji. Eiheiji (永平寺) is a small town in Fukui prefecture famous for its impressive temple bearing the same name. Located midst of mountains, east of Fukui city, the town is renowned for Eiheiji Temple, which was established in 1244 by Zen Master Dogen (道元禅師 Dōgen Zenji).
Eiheiji has become Dōgen's place, the temple where Dōgen is remembered, where Dōgen's Zen is practiced, where Dōgen's Shōbōgenzō is published, where it is read, and where one goes to learn Dōgen's Buddhism.
The Eiheiji Temple is the headquarters of all Soto Zen schools where known as Steven Jobs used to practice. They teach Zazen practice every Monday evenings. They are well-organized and run the beginners, intermediates, and advanced courses separately. Eiheiji was founded in 1244 by Koso Dogen Zenji as the first Zen training center of the Soto Zen School and for the members of the temple community. Dogen Zenji vigorously guided the monks in training and laid down the regulations called ‘Shingi’, which were to be observed.